I really like condiments. A lot. Even when I don’t have many groceries in my fridge, I always have shelves of condiments in there. Some food I crave only for the condiments that typically go on them. Like hot dogs. Hot dogs are the perfect delivery system for ketchup and mustard.
Ah, ketchup and mustard. Such a perfect combination. I try to keep the amount of processed food in my diet to a minimum, which means I don’t often eat things that typically go with ketchup and mustard. But every so often a craving hits and I need my ketchup and mustard fix. I immediately start thinking of hot dogs. Sometimes I will just buy some veggie dogs and buns and go to town. But other times I try to keep it healthier. Enter the hot dog salad.
You heard me: hot dog salad. It’s a hot dog in salad form. You take all of your usual hot dog fixings and put them on top of lettuce (I find a nice crisp lettuce like romaine works the best). I know, I know, this sounds crazy and disgusting, but trust me, it’s actually pretty good.
Hot Dog Salad
-2 vegan hot dogs
-whatever hot dog toppings you like (e.g., onion, pickle, hot peppers, etc.)
1. Shred your lettuce and pile it on your plate.
2. Cut the hot dogs into rounds and heat in a frying pan/skillet.
3. Prepare whatever hot dog toppings you are using (e.g., slice onions if using, chop pickles, etc.)
4. Top lettuce with cooked hot dogs plus toppings.
5. Add condiments, such as ketchup and mustard.